Anastasiia Velyka and Paul Schütze ( both CMS)- at the Technology and Instrumentation in Particle Physics 2017 (TIPP2017) conference in Beijing, (China)in May 2017.
Funding for PhD students
New travel grants are available for 2017- we are looking forward for your application! Funding for DPG conferences can be requested anytime - deadlines apply for international travel only.
Curious? Travel reports of some of our PhD students, who have been on research trips all over the world with funding from our travel grants fund.
Ole Brandt at the "Kirchhoff Institut für Physik" (KIP) in Heidelberg. Here is his report.
Rob Klabbers at the "Scattering Amplitudes: from Gauge Theory to Gravity" conference in Santa Barbara, USA. Here is his report.
PIER travel grants can be used for research stays, summer/winter schools, workshops, conferences etc. abroad or in Germany (as well Hamburg).
1. Who can apply?
Full or associated members of the PIER Helmholtz Graduate School, who started their PhD at least 6 month ago
2. Professional requirements
a.) Doctoral studies in one of the PIER research or competence fields
b.) The stay abroad is in direct professional connection with the doctoral studies and is approved by the supervisor (team) in Hamburg
c.) Good knowledge of English
3. Amount of funding
Stays abroad may be supported to the amount of a maximum of € 1,500. All costs exceeding the maximum amount must be borne e.g. privately or by the contribution of the working group. In justified individual cases, a higher funding is possible.
Please note: insurance for travel abroad is not included! All PhD students travelling with a PHGS travel grant have to ensure that the complete trip is covered by a health insurance.
4. Application procedure
- Applications can be submitted four times a year in March, June, September and December.
- The respective application deadlines are 31.03./30.06./30.09./31.12.
- Decisions will be announced within one month after the respective deadline.
- If the number of applications exceeds the available funds, only the most plausible applications of our full members will be funded.
- The executive committee of the PIER Helmholtz Graduate School decides on the funding.
5. How to submit your application
Please send your application in English or German by e-mail to: email@example.com
We recommend a personal counselling interview before application.
a.) Personal statement with the following information:
- Status of doctoral studies
- Brief description of the research project abroad
- Professional expectations and benefits of the stay abroad for the research activity within the doctoral studies
b.) For stays of more than three weeks: Brief invitation letter of the partner institution
c.) Written endorsement of the supervisor (team) in Hamburg
d.) Budget plan for the stay: Travel expenses and possible costs for the attendance at summer schools, workshops or conferences. The daily allowance cannot be refunded by the graduate school! Please include an overview of the contribution by your research team and your private contribution.
Coordinator PIER Helmholtz Graduate School
Building 61, Room 117a