Travel grants, language and soft skill courses, career training, helpdesk and more services for PhD Students of Universität Hamburg and DESY.READ MORE
Starting on June 2017, the PIER Helmholtz Graduate School (PHGS) will provide a limited number of grants for completing a doctorate for full members of the PHGS. The financial support is offered to PhD students who are unable to complete their graduation within the given time frame of their respective contract for reasons beyond their own fault.
Basic Conditions & Procedure
• Applications are accepted the whole year round.
• Applications must be handed in at least 4 months before the original funding runs out.
• All full members of the PHGS financed through employment at DESY, University of Hamburg or a scholarship are eligible to apply. Scholarship holders must be enrolled at University of Hamburg.
• PHGS finances up to 6 months of 50% TVL 13 (the collective wage agreement).
• The supported PhD students receive a prolongation of their respective contract financed by PHGS. Scholarship holders will be employed at DESY for the time of funding.
The applicant must provide details on the following points:
• There are compelling reasons which prevent a graduation within the term of the contract and for which the PhD student is not responsible himself/herself.
• The graduation cannot be completed with the existing material/results. Please note that the PHGS cannot grant an extension simply in order to improve the quality of the PhD thesis. It must be made clear that without an extension, the thesis is truly inadmissible.
• The required extension cannot be financed by other resources
• The current results and working behavior of the PhD student lead to the assumption that the graduation will be completed within a maximum of 6 months.
• Application letter which outlines the reasons for the delay/interruption of the graduation project
• Curriculum vitae
• Support letter of the main supervisor
• Detailed working plan and timeline for the remaining time